Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Digital Blog #L

Steps of Technology Integration
I suppose I had never considered a step-by-step process for introducing a new technology to a classroom; every class I had ever been in always had one already. According to the textbook, there are five steps including entry, adoption, adaptation, appropriation, and invention. Basically, the steps start at having little knowledge about how the computer works, to ultimately using it as a regular instructional tool. I think it is important to have these steps now that I've read about it. Technology is ever-changing, and I wouldn't know how to use a SmartBoard, for example, so these steps would help me with that in a real life scenario.


Technology Integration Issues
Of course, not everything can go as planned. The book says that administrative support and teaching style, unwillingness to change favorite lesson plans, reluctance to use new technology, use of technology as a reward or punishment, use of technology as an add-on to other activities, and use of technology to separate students by ability groups can all be issues when technology is introduced to a classroom. I can't imagine that a teacher would not use the technology because they have a favorite lesson plan... I imagine that they could just add the technology to what they are already comfortable with. I have witnessed students using computers as rewards or punishments. Whoever finishes their work first gets to use the computer. That isn't fair for those who are slow but accurate every single time! This may cause them to rush their work just to get to use the computer for once.

One-to-One Laptop Computing
I grew up in a wealthy county, and I never had my own laptop provided by the school. The text states that every student in every grade, school, or district has his or her own computer to use in school. I've never heard of such a thing! When I was assisting a first grade class, the students had their own lap tops for the technology class, and we had a supply of six iPads to choose from for their center. But even with both of those technologies, these computing devices weren't their own. This was a surprising paragraph to read!


References
Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Novak, B (2016, Nov 22) Tech created with Piktochart https://piktochart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment