Saturday, October 29, 2016

Blog Post #H

In chapter 9, the author mentions PowerPoint presentations and that is something many millennials are very familiar with. Time and time again, instructors have used this program to portray their lessons with short bullet points and graphics or videos. This draws students in and is also effective for note taking. In a college setting, and probably high school and/or middle school, teachers will upload these PowerPoints to an accessible place where it becomes a great study tool for reviewing. I love PowerPoint, it has come a long way and there are so many templates, animations, graphics, charts, and more. It has been an essential tool for me and I always enjoy making them my own!

Youtube is another technology noted in the textbook, and I have a different opinion than most I'm sure. When I think about youtube videos in my own classes growing up, I remember my teachers using very old videos with poor sound and video quality about sciences or history-- I hated them! It seemed as though the teacher never even watched the video themselves. Other videos were voice overs to meaningless graphics, and all in all seemed to take my attention elsewhere. I loved NatGeo videos and other quality films and videos. Anyone can access youtube, and the quality isn't always there for me.

Here's a cute powtoon video from youtube!

The strategies for utilizing videos was important, though. I did find myself paying more attention when the teacher would pause the video and reflect on what we had just watched. I would pay attention better after that while I waited for the next pause-in-play. Also, having a worksheet to follow along with helped, too.

References:

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Novak, Brittney. Adam Lindstrom. (2015, May 19). Educational Technology in the Classroom. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9kdIBlM424.

No comments:

Post a Comment