Sunday, September 25, 2016

Blog Post #D

In chapter five, I found it interesting that the percentage of seventeen-year-olds who read for fun everyday decreased by thirteen percent in just twenty years. When I read over that statistic I kind of said "whoa" to myself. That information ended in 2004, and when I think about where we are now with so much new technology, I'm worried to know that statistic. But I argue, who's to say people aren't reading on the computer, iPad, Kindle, iPhone? The list goes on and on. I don't think it would be fair to rule out that possibility! I know that those devices make it more convenient to read. You can find so many different types of reading besides books; You can read the news daily or read articles. That list goes on, too! It would be interesting to know what the statistics are now. 
tech


 Next I thought I'd dive into writing's biggest rival: Wikipedia. Since this website has been of existence, it has masked itself as a reliable source of information. People all over the world Google one noun and they will get Wikipedia as the first source. I decided to test that hypothesis by typing the word "jazz" into the Google search engine box. Low and behold, wikipedia was the first result. The problem here is that it is the first amount of information to click on, and seems like it will give you the information you need. I distrust this website personally because I have come across false information TWICE. It really bothered me that so many people were reading that information thinking it was factual. The book states that many teachers discuss this website with their students to make them aware before they make the mistake. 

 Finally, as I wrapped up the chapter the book mentions cyberbullying. Although this topic is addressed a lot and practically everyone is aware of the issue, I do not think it can be overemphasized. Cyberbullying is defined as "willful and repeated harm through the use of computers, cell phones, and other electronic equipment"(Hindjura & Patchin, 2009, p.4) What bugs me about that definition is the word repeated. Why is it not considered cyber bullying the first time? I think that is a flaw and should be revised. I know there are some apps in place to protect against a cyberbully attack like ReThink. ReThink delivers a notification after a harmful text is about to be sent. This may make someone double take what they had said and possibly choose not to send it.

References:

Hinjura, S., & Patchin, J. W. (2008) Bullying beyond the schoolyard:Preventing and responding to cyberbulling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press


Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
 World's fastest way to create cartoons! (n.d.). Retrieved September 25, 2016, from http://www.toondoo.com/MyToondoo.toon 

No comments:

Post a Comment